Saturday, June 13, 2009

On Petunias

A recent comment on one of my soapmaker's lists (one where we discuss lots of other things) about one woman's dislike of boring petunias got me thinking. My first thought, of course, was how boring she would find my deck and yard. Sure, I have 72 pots of flowers around the deck and front yard, but they are mostly filled with easily found petunias and impatiens. Nothing exotic.

But last night, as we enjoyed dinner on the deck, overlooking all those crazy pots of flowers, my Oldtimer and I discussed the merits of each for color, patterning, and effect. Like the one below, apparently a simple hot pink with yellow throat - but look at that faint violet line between the yellow and pink. I love the small detail, and the pop of color it adds to a mixed pot.
Now, my very favorite is this deep red violet, almost identical to the Crayola crayon of that name, with a hint of the same translucency - and look at the dark-colored throat! But my Oldtimer votes without hesitation for the lighter lavender with the exotic dark veining. Luckily, we're able to put them side by side - just like us.
I have to give an extra shot of my favorite; this is one of those Proven Winners, that cascades from the pot, and requires next-to-no deadheading.
And doesn't this one just get that song going in your head? You know, the one that starts "When the deep purple falls, over sleepy garden walls, and the stars begin to twinkle....
I found this pale yellow to be eye-catching for some reason, all on it's own. But when you mix it with the deep purple and display it on a railing, wow! I love it.
This standard issue red looks a little disappointed, doesn't it? He'll do a lot, though, to liven up the other plants sharing the pot.
Another basic that I think I remember from my youth - pale pink with a white throat. Of course, the flower is much larger than most, so it adds a lot to a mixed pot, too.
Another shot of my favorite, touched by sunlight. Hey, it's my blog.
Look at the tiny hairs on the underside of that new blossom in the upper right. I think that's what some folks don't like about petunias - that almost sticky feeling when you deadhead.
A relative newcomer - the various Million Bells - you can see a red and a purple sharing this hanging pot off the deck.

An added bonus - for me - is the scent of petunias; light and distinctive, and not replicated in a man-made perfume, as far as I know. Here's one more shot - our two favorites, tumbled together.
I'm off to photo more - would you like to see the impatiens? Geraniums? Coleus? Oh, how I love color. Even the variety of greens provided by the "topsy-turvy" tomatoes, and the buckets of herbs on the deck make me happy. Oh! And I may have spotted a couple new, huge mushrooms down by the pond! It may have to wait a bit - I think if I wander around with a camera, while there's a truckload of mulch in the driveway, Oldtimer might split up our favorite petunias...

9 comments:

Chaska Peacock said...

Fabulous flowers, and fabulous photos! What a treat!

Linda Fleming said...

One oif my favorite things about summer are seeing photos of your marvelous potted flowers and gorgeous yard.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Sue,

All of your flowers are beautiful!
They have such wonderful bold colors, just up my alley! LOL
Color, Color, Color that's me! :)

Hugs and have a lovely weekend.

Shashi Nayagam said...

The petunias always give such a lovely display. I have several pots of them too.

Jennifer Rose said...

those are all gorgeous! always forget they come in so many colours :)

JudiA said...

If petunias are boring, what does she find "interesting"??? They have color, a gorgeous habit, and oh my! that scent! And now that I think about it, *is* there such a thing as a 'boring' flower? What a load of piffle! Boring indeed...
JudiA
who is even a fan of the lowly dandelion, so perhaps her opinion isn't quite mainstream...

JudiA said...

OK, now that I have gotten over being indignant over a comment by a person I have never met (I know... I need to lighten up!) I wanted to thank you for reminding me of a favorite from my childhood, even though you didn't feature it in this post. My grandmother had the most flamboyant petunias -- they were white and pink stripes with a deep yellow throat. Petunias always smell like summer to me, especially in the morning. MMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm...

MaryO said...

I love your petunias, Sue! So many varieties and so much color! Oh my!
I had just come in from taking photo of the hibiscus I'm keeping in a pot over the summer because I love looking at it on my deck. I also have a pot of Million Bells I love. And some creamy white Marigolds which are just getting started. Love these colorful annuals!

Debra said...

I just want to tell you - I absolutely love that song! (When the deep purple falls...) Now it's in my head, and I will be humming it for the rest of the day!