Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Monday Photo - My Workspace

The theme for this week's photo is My Workspace. Since I spent the entire weekend in the yard and garden, I really thought about posting that as my current workspace. However, the "treehouse" still has my heart.

The room is long and narrow, and runs across the back of the old part of our house. It truly is only about 6 feet wide, and doesn't seem that wide, due to the shelves, built ins, and sewing tables. While at work in this room, I tend to take off my shoes, and never wear a bulky sweater (even in the winter) because I feel as though I take up too much space!

Below you see my primary work surface, which is atop a long antique library table. It butts up agains an old school desk. The surface of the school desk is covered with things I can't store just yet, and things keep creeping onto the surface of the library table. Though I've cleaned it off recently, I have two projects going right now, so the entire surface is pretty well covered - but not too deeply! My sewing machine and serger are on small tables on the wall opposite the window.

The bulletin board on the end wall has print-outs of faces and projects I find inspiring.
Here's a peek at the primary work "hole" and the view out my lone window. Obviously, I'm auditioning fabrics!
I'm fairly adjusted to the cramped space - at least I have a space of my own - and am grateful to have such a beautiful view outside the window. The only thing I really dislike about the room is the 1980s era dark brown SHAG carpeting. Not only is the color dreary, it shows every bit of lint and thread!

4 comments:

BumbleVee said...

"Auditioning fabric".. hahahhaha.... love it!

I love the name ...the tree house.....it immediately conjures up a cute little house in a tree, of course... a total getaway just like we had as kids..our forts...

Yeh...sure....stuff is spread around...but, really....what's the point in putting it all in drawers or hiding it away? Every time we want to use it we just have to waste time finding all of it again....

I think the purpose of a designated room for crafting/fun and art is to be able to leave stuff where it is...to pop in and work a bit and then do something else for awhile...and then... if you want to do so...pop back for another hour later....

Serena Lewis said...

Sue, I LOVE your workspace! I liked the phrase, "Auditioning fabric", too.

I remember when we lived in the States for a while, the house we stayed in had a dark olive green SHAG-pile carpet in the living-room...very dated and it attracted all manner of fluff, dust, and God only knows what else. lol I can imagine how tough it would be having that type of carpet in a sewing workspace but, maybe, one day you can put different floor covering down? For Reece's room, I just bought some cheap vinyl floor covering with a laminated-wood floor design and it made a massive difference to his room....and it's easy to clean. :)

MaryO said...

I'm envious of your window setting, and Judi's. I'd love to move my work table in front of the window but it would block the heat/ac register. But I'm glad to see that everyone else's table is as cluttered as mine. You're auditioning fabrics, I'm auditioning paint! Love it!

JudiA said...

Oh wow... just look at all that COOL STUFF! I want a closer look at all the objects in that back corner. Your room has a wonderful energy Sue. I have shag carpet too - ugh. Mine eats beads.