Monday, January 26, 2009

Another Loss


This morning I received word that my dear friend, Dell Bunch, passed away. To say I am heartbroken is an understatement.

When my Oldtimer and I first moved to Warrenton, Dell "adopted" us. She took us under her wing, introduced us to people, and generally watched over us. When we opened the big store, Oldtimer & Lily, she was there with us, every day of the first year, to help in the store and make sure we weren't working too hard. She never took a dime in payment.

Dell truly was like an adoptive mother to me. We vacationed at the beach with her and her daughters and their families. New to town, she helped me find my doctor, my dentist, my dry cleaner. We had dinners, went to auctions, worked the stores, and no one promoted my soaps and lotions like she did. She loved my children as though they were her own grandchildren, and made sure they were invited to Christmas morning breakfast whenever they were in town.

Dell did things for me that my own mother would not have done. One of the most significant things was sitting in the waiting room when I had my gall bladder surgery. When it was time to get dressed and leave the recovery room, she was right there, helping me put on my clothing, and easing me out of the hospital. I still remember her bending over and helping me get my foot through the opening of my panties, and saying "Come on, honey, you don't have anything I haven't seen before." If you knew how I'd been brought up, you would know how significant that is to me.

I wish I had a better photo to share, even though I love this one of her behind the Oldtimer & Lily counter. I wish you could see the sparkle in her bright blue eyes, hear the rasp of her unique voice, sense her energy. At the risk of being trite, the world is truly a poorer place for her passing. I know that her "real" daughters and granddaughter are going to miss her terribly.

I love you, Dell.

18 comments:

sandy said...

How sad for you. She sounds like she was such a wonderful part of the family to you and how much you will miss her...

There seems to be so many leaving lately.

BumbleVee said...

Big hugs ..... sorry to hear of your sad loss.....

Linda Fleming said...

So sorry for your loss, Sue. She sounds a wonderful friend, and none of us have enough of those kind of friends in our lives. Big Hugs....

Karen Becker said...

Sue, I am so sorry to hear of your friends passing. It sounds like you had an amazing friendship and I'm glad you had her in your life while you did. Love, Karen Becker

Shashi Nayagam said...

I am so sorry to hear about your sad loss Sue

MaryO said...

She was a beautiful lady, Sue, in many ways it seems. I'm sure she will be missed by all who knew her. My condolences to you and your "Old Timer". Friends like that are hard to come by.

Jacque Uetz said...

Sue, so sorry for your great loss! Dell sounds like the perfect friend and those are so hard to come by!I am glad you have such wonderful memories..take care and have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear your news, hug's to you

Jennifer Rose said...

sorry for your loss :( she sounds like she was a really good friend

HElen said...

So sorry for your loss... She sounds like she was a really dear friend

JudiA said...

She sounds like a very special lady Sue. I am so sorry for your loss, and how wonderful for you to have known her.

Mike Fleming said...

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Serena Lewis said...

Sue, I'm so sorry to hear that your dear friend, Dell, passed away. Your life was obviously enriched with having known her. There should be more people like her in this world. (((Hugs)))

Unknown said...

A beautiful eulogy, Sue. I'm so glad you enjoyed her company for so long. She sounds like a wonderful friend. You are a lucky woman to have so many great memories.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

My condolences on the passing of your dear friend! I have lost a few good friends in the past and I know their absence always leaves a void in our hearts.
Sending healing hugs!

GraceBeading said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss Sue, it sounds like she will be truly missed. Everyone should have a friend that that in their lives, even if for a short time.

joggerellablog said...

I can see the sparkle in her eyes, Sue! She was really a wonderful friend to you, and I bet to others, also!

The Foxes Den said...

Sue, what a wonderful gift she was to you. Treasure the memories and feel her watching over you. Big hugs.
Steph}:o)