Friday, August 04, 2006

Does this scare you?


There have been a lot of online discussions, in one group in particular, about organizing our creative spaces, cleaning up, how we arrange things, etc. One of my art friends gets a load of new goodies, and promptly organizes it all by color and weight and everything...I mean everything...has a place.

I can't do it.

Every time I commit a neatness, I can't find a doggone thing. It's crazy in my treehouse, I don't deny it. And sometimes I have to dig through layers of things to get to what I want. Sometimes, when I haven't been able to get to the treehouse for a while, I just take my creative time and sit in the room and reintroduce myself to all my goodies. There have actually been times when I just sit and run my hands through the *shoebox* full of glass beads. But when I put things away, I mean, really away, and orderly and sensibly, it just doesn't work. I remember that the green silk looked really nice next to the embroidered teal piece I had nearby, and I kept them together, because they were under the baggie of beads that I can't bear to break up because someone sent them to me just like that...even though normal people would sort them by color. If I move one thing, my visualization is shot, and all is lost. My little bit of stolen creative time is spent in frustration, looking through the drawers for what I might have thought was logical at the time.

So the question remains...should I be scared? Doesn't it look as though all the stuff on the shelves is tipping forward? What if it all decides to let go someday? (Probably on a day I should have come to admire it all and didn't, and now there's pouting going on amongst the goodies.)

Wanna see my fabric closet?? You should see behind that door draped in ribbons....

6 comments:

Kai said...

Scare me? ME? HA! I LAUGH at so-called scary studios! (Heehee!)You'll understand in a bit when I send you some pictures of my dining room fiasco. It LOOKS messy, but I can find anything in a snap because I have it organized Kai-style. (That means in a STRANGE way but it works for ME. LOL!) Sue, I think your space looks extremely put together! And as long as you continue making beautiful things as you have been, that means it's a PERFECT space!

Anonymous said...

Sue your not alone, I also can't find a thing if I organize. Maybe we should try labeling, naw!!

Judi W. said...

This isn't so bad, really! It looks like my place .. most of your stuff is semi-organized in boxes and tubs. I have a general idea of where everything is. Some days I do ultra organize. I did that recently with all my trims. They were a tangled mess so I wrapped them around cardboard and put them in baggies. Now it's harder to find what I want than when they were all tangled together, LOL.

Linda Fleming said...

Ha! That looks orderly and organized compared to my studio. I do need to come up with some kind of organizatin because half the time I can't find what I am looking for and need but- I know it's there.....somewhere! LOL!

Helen in the UK said...

I think each to his (or her) own with studios/workspaces. I cannot create in a mess, but a friend of mine cannot create in a tidy space!! Looks like you have lots of great stuff and as long as you are happy with the way it is organised (or not!) ...

k baxter packwood said...

Scared? No when your entire house looks like that email me ;-) Some day I'll have it all on one floor only.