Friday, June 29, 2007

New fabrics and projects...

As if I didn't have enough fabric! Yesterday I received an order from Vogue Fabrics, plus a few other things in the mail (and only one bill!). Now that I have used the serger a few times, I'm eager to make some things to wear, so had to start stocking up on clothing-type fabric.

These are the fabrics I bought with clothing in mind. The dark taupe in the back left is a lovely, heavy, jersey knit. I see a drapey tunic top and matching slacks (assuming it doesn't cling to my saddle bags TOO much). The floral is a soft but dense woven linen blend. That's currently planned for a top that sports pointed sides, longer than the front, but that may change. The two front fabrics are soft and gauzy -- perfect for summer pants and flowing tops.
Also from Vogue Fabrics is this soft, almost silky, cotton fabric with the look of batik and stamped with African women with baskets. I got a full yard of this, and have at least three projects dancing in my head. I wonder which it will be!
In a much smaller package came the "blank" for a self-portrait doll. I've been buying pre-made blank dolls from Monica Magness (Girl Gone Thread Wild, on eBay) for several months. She makes quality doll blanks, perfectly stuffed, from unique fabrics. She has begun a monthly challenge, where she provides the blank. This month's challenge is a self-portrait doll. I received this unique yellow and orange body with numbers, and some orange wings! Note that Monica also provided some Timtex for a crown. The green tissue background and the variegated ribbon you see were used to wrap the blank inside the shipping box. Even the packing and shipping is a delight! Incidentally, Monica has a blog, too, where the challenge results are posted.

3 comments:

Kai said...

I LOVE this little doll! And what a cute idea to do self portrait dolls! You KNOW I'll want to see her finished!

Kai said...

Oooops! I'm losing my mind. Forgot to say that I also really love your fabrics! That batik-look print is to die for! I can't wait to see all the clothing you make! Girl, you are going to be a fashion DIVA!

Judi W. said...

YOu can never have too much fabric! I love the idea of buying doll blanks! Hmmm ... I do have some pin dolls to make and this looks the perfect size!