Friday, October 27, 2006

Paper Dolls for Me

You've seen the lesser detailed photos of all those glorious paper dolls, but there was just no way to keep the swap somewhat orderly and get good detailed photos of all the work. Each participant interpreted so differently, and the detail and thought that went into the dolls was really very special.

What I can show you are the three I kept for myself. Each unique and each very special, as were all the dolls -- this was an absolutely delightful swap to host, as I could send each and every one with pride and delight. The ones I kept came from Saundra James, Jenny Rohrs, and Anne Chafee. Anne submitted six dolls (it was a 3 for 3 swap) and each were made in a similar style. They were made from advertising cards that she picked up while visiting France. It seems the parades of acting troupes, advertising their show, hand out these cards -- brightly colored and nicely finished -- and people just toss them away, so Anne gathered them up and used them for the bodies of the dolls. She also used paint chips for hands, feet, and heads, and a supply of vintage junk jewelry for the arms and legs. Very clever.



Saundra's doll was done as a grommet doll, with stamped papers and loads of artistic detail. Saundra had these so well packaged within the cellophane bags, I hated to take them out to photo, so I didn't know exactly what I was getting, but I loved the body shape. This is such a pretty doll. Here it is:



Jenny sent three similar Spring themed dolls. I haven't confirmed this with her yet, but I think the pouffy skirts are dyed coffee filters. There's stamping, embossing, vellum and all kinds of good "stuff."

Aren't they all fabulous??

3 comments:

Kai said...

They ARE lovely! My favorite is the last one! You know, it's wild how paper dolls have once again become the rage, only THIS time with doll artists. I guess it follows that quote about all things old being new again! LOVE THAT!

Linda Fleming said...

Great choices! You selected three wonderful dolls. Are you going to make a collage with them or display them individually?
Hugs-
Linda F from FL

Duane and Nancy said...

Wow! As a guy who remembers a brief period in life at around age 7 or 8 playing with paper dolls and the clothing that had the little tabs, I am amazed at this level of creativity and beauty. Wonderful pieces of art.