Monday, February 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!

I woke this morning to a frigid, monotone world, with one of the dogs barking outside, but finally, thankfully, the wind quieted. I thought we would all blow away yesterday, the wind was so fierce. The kitchen window has frosted over, so I have no clue what the outdoor thermometer says, but the Weather Channel says it is five degrees above zero, with a wind chill of -10.

When I was a child, probably the year I was in second grade, I woke on my birthday to a sparkling world of icy crystals covering everything. It had been foggy, or slightly misty, during the night, and all the moisture in the air attached to tree branches, dried weeds, telephone wires, creating a glittering glass-like world. My mother told me that the outdoors were all dressed up for my birthday, and of course I believed her!

My daughter and granddaughter arrived last Wednesday evening (after a horrific ordeal of a travel/flight day) and have been in cahoots with Oldtimer for celebrating my day. It's such a treat just knowing that they are snugged up in the guest room. So far, Baby O and I have painted and colored and played in the button dish, and I haven't had to go to the office since Thursday morning. It's delightful.

I found my email full of birthday wishes today, and now I'm off to prepare for my other birthday event - my annual mammogram! What a way to celebrate, huh?

6 comments:

Judi W. said...

Happy Birthday!

MaryO said...

I've said it on the list, but I'll say it again here, Sue....
HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I know you'll enjoy it and I hope you'll have many, many more to enjoy.

Bel said...

Happy Birthday, It must have been magical when you were young to discovered everything dressed up for your birthday, its a shame we grow up lol. Belinda

Jacque Uetz said...

Sue, the main thing you got to spend time with the grand, aren't they just so much fun!! I hope the return trip was much better for them..the weather is the pitts for us too same conditions.. Do we get to see pictures..I know she is really growning..

Linda Fleming said...

So glad you got some time with your grand girl! And I hope their trip home is safe and comfortable.

Ricë said...

happy (belated) birthday. hope it was wonderful. hope the mammogram was quick and pain-free--