Friday, May 23, 2008

Bird on the Sill

The past few days these birds have been tapping at the window, fluttering about, making the rounds of each of our office windows. Obviously a male and female, I'm assuming they are hoping to nest nearby, and see their reflection as competitors for their high-rent choice - multiple trees overlooking a "pond." (I think it's street run-off, but that's not very appealing...)

Yesterday, the male spent a good amount of time outside my window. I know he couldn't see me, and I know he couldn't see the red stress ball on the window sill, but it still was quite the sight - orange breasted bird, red stressball, and fuchsia blooming rhododendron!






Here's his lady friend. She tapped a bit, too, but mostly she sat in the rhodo and preened.


I took the photos with my camera phone, so they aren't the best. When we figure out where the actual nest is, I'll take better pix.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like a tanager! Maybe they have a nest in the nearby shrubs.....thanks for sharing the cute pix!

Shashi Nayagam said...

That is a cute picture. At least they are not flying into the window. Yesterday a wood pigeon flew into our window. I am sure he got a bad headache after that because it felt like a big bang.

joggerellablog said...

I am glad they didn't hit the window also. We had a sharpshinned hawk hit the window hard and it was lying spread-eagle on its back on the patio while its mate shreiked at it to get up. It was answering and my husband was saying, "What a shame, what a shame." Then...presto it righted itself and flew around the corner....I wouldn't have told this story if it hadn't had a happy ending....