Saturday, September 06, 2008

An Easy Saturday

We left the house around 8:30 this morning, with the intention of having a bagel and cup of coffee, and nothing more. One thing led to another, and soon we were driving back country roads, looking for the apple farm we visited nearly four years ago. A trip back home, a search of the internet, loading the address into our trusty Garmin, and we were off again. Of course, once we found the orchard and country store, we had to go back to other things we'd seen along our routes.

We visited a couple of nurseries, looking for pots for the newly finished patio in front, we took a long route back home, taking us through a shopping area so I could look for tin frames at World Market, had a lovely lunch together, and ultimately made our way back home with chrysanthemums, pots, tomatoes, apples, peaches, and corn on the cob - plus two tin frames, and a tin eye (don't ask).

I was absolutely enthralled with an L-shaped barn we spotted on one back road, and had to take photos. If only that dreadful, modern, portable basketball hoop weren't in the way, it would be perfect! It was a gloomy and overcast morning, so the barn doesn't look quite the right shade of faded reds, but you can see a bit more of it if you click on the photo and view it full size.






When we got home, we found that my Oldtimer's single patio tomato had outdone itself - lovely garden "sculpture," no?


Last weekend I made a stop at Trader Joe's to pick up some goodies for dinner guests. (I'll use ANY excuse to go to Trader Joe's!) The mall where TJ's is located is fabulously planted and though I should have photo'd all of the wonderful plantings, I especially wanted one of this datura.


Also, the front window of the Anthropologie store is always strikingly done. Once, there were swoops of huge rag braids, dramatically hung across the windows. This time, there were artfully folded books, strung on ropes, and festooned the width of the glass. I took this photo and the datura with my cell phone, so the quality may be lacking. but I had to try to grab the images.



It was a good and satisfying day, and now I'm looking forward to fresh tomatoes and corn on the cob and not much else for supper - perhaps a bit of lemonade.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could clone that hoop right out of the photo if you send me a high res version!
I bet you could to... if you have some pretty good software.

Linda Fleming said...

I always love your photos, and these are wonderful! Those tomatoes look divine!

Did you get your pots filled with the new mums? I finally have caught up with my potting- all the plants I have bought this summer are now living in new pots.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue,

Beautiful images.

Alma