Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A Chance to Help





As many of you know, I work for an organization - actually a couple of organizations - that do charitable work.  Pets for the Elderly (my main work) happens to be focused on animal rescue, and one of my jobs is to write grants seeking funding so we can continue our mission.  I was telling my Oldtimer just this evening that foundations that have given to us in the past are sending us rejection letters, citing the poor economy and a general cut-back in their charitable donations.  It's pretty discouraging.

Then, tonight I read Bernie Berlin's blog - A Place to Bark.  I've long been an admirer of Bernie's from an art standpoint, but when she began doing rescue work in Tennessee, she really captured a big piece of my heart.  The woman amazes me, with her compassion, determination, and unrelenting faith that things will work out.  Imagine my pleasure when I found that her rescue work is involved with one of the shelters we have in our program.

When I have a little bit of extra $$, I try to send it to Bernie.  I have to admit that like everyone else, I haven't sent as much lately.  I hope you'll read Bernie's entry, here.  I hope you'll find some way to send whatever little bits you can spare.  I also hope you'll follow Bernie's blog, and perhaps make a purchase when she has her art auction.  Truly - every little bit helps, and their donations have been severely impacted this year.  The Hairy Boys and I thank you.

4 comments:

Serena Lewis said...

I wish you well, Sue. I donate where I can to shelters etc. as every little bit helps.

Thanks for the links....I will definitely check them out.

Debra said...

Sue, this is quite a fortuitous blog entry. Just today I agreed to take in a rescue from an Iowa shelter, soon to be euthanized due to crowded conditions. I'm so very comfy with my two pups, and they have rather fragile personalities, but I decided to go out on a limb and start taking in short term rescues, until a forever home can be found.

BumbleVee said...

what a wonderful organization Sue..... I hope you will be able to carry on this great service to the seniors... I must check to see if they have something similar locally....

thanks for stopping in to say goodbye to my sister's beautiful Tiffany.

sandy said...

I will check out that blog and I love your photos of the animals.