Thursday, June 11, 2009

I Have a Lot on My Mind...

...and on my worktable!

The photo above is the mess I made of my workspace, just to trim out a couple of little Dotee dolls for a swap I'm hosting on the CPS yahoo group. But, that seems to be the way I work. Amazingly, you can't see all of the mess - there's a box of sequins on the floor next to where my left foot can easily reach it and give it a tumble.

Now, I know you all remember those fabulous earrings I got from Xen Gifts in Little Italy. I love them so much, I bought a whole outfit to go with them, and then I emailed the owner, and asked if it would be possible to get a necklace to go with them. When I went to the shop last Friday, I had a couple to choose from, but this one was the winner.



And then, I found a few pairs of earrings in copper, and you KNOW I just made myself that necklace with the picture jasper and copper dangles, so why not get a pair of copper earrings at the same time?


Now, just to refresh your memories, I'm going to share photos of the boxes these pieces came in - even though I was standing right there, and she could have just put it in some tissue and a plastic bag. Nope, this is quality and pride of workmanship, and I'd really kind of like to just move in there. Here are the beautiful boxes, just for me:



Look at this attention to detail. Look at those sweet little bits tied with silver thread into the ribbon.

Since I was in Little Italy anyway, no sense in making the trip and not visiting other places, so I made a quick stop at Corbo's bakery - pepperoni bread, tiramisu, lemon bars. No wonder I didn't lose weight before this upcoming class reunion.

Saturday I shopped at a little family-owned market for some fresh meats and veggies, and even though I paid a little more than at my big chain grocery, I got personal service and some great atmosphere. (And when I shopped there on Tuesday, I got a senior citizen discount! Over age 55, get a discount. When I told the cashier I was over 55, I practically begged her to ask me to prove it, but...she believed me.)

I bet you're thinking I'm telling you all this just so I can brag about getting new stuff and spending money, right? Wrong. Today I read a blog post on Curious Sofa, about the 5/30 Program. Rather than tell you all about it, let me just tell you it's about shopping locally, in small independently owned retailers, and it just makes so darn much sense... I just want you to read about it. Click for Curious Sofa Diaries... and then, if that's not enough information, there's a link within the text for the 3/50 Project. I can't help but read it and think what a huge difference this would have made in my former retail business - and I want to call all those that are still in that area and tell them they have to promote the 3/50 Project!

So now you know - I'm doing my part. I still buy some stuff online - I've only been in Cleveland four years, and I don't know where everything is yet! But I am proud to frequent Xen Gifts and the bakery and the family owned grocer and yes, even the little local ice cream shop where a quart of homemade ice cream is over $9! Well, that's one way to stay on a diet, right?

In case you think you don't have a lot of small independent businesses near you, think of things other than gift stores and antique shops; think of buying your garden plants from the local nursery instead of Home Depot; seed for your bird feeders from the small shops that sell it (and you'll get better answers there than from the check-out girl at Walmarket); and don't forget the people who cut your hair!

Oh, that mess I made? It's to make these two little bitty dolls - and I have one more to go. I might need some yellow beads, though....



Remember - visit 3 locally owned stores you'd miss if they went out of business, spend $50 a month at locally owned independent businesses, and think of how you are benefitting the local economy! (And make something fun - a Dotee doll, a tote bag for your fabulous purchases, anything that makes you smile. )

8 comments:

Melisa said...

They're adorable! I made a huge mess working on mine, too. The DH even commented on it, and he is usually immune to my art messes by now, and doesn't even notice them.

Shashi Nayagam said...

Your little Dottees look adorable and the jewelry is beautiful.

Serena Lewis said...

the earrings are a perfect match to the necklace and your dotee dolls are very sweet.

great advice about helping to keep the local economy strong. there is a town up north of us that is making it's own currency which will go into effect on july 1st. the currency will only be usable within their local community and the idea is to keep their community economy strong during these tough times.

Jennifer Rose said...

really lovely looking jewellery :D

I would love to shop more locally, but the prices of somethings are insane or you just can't get somethings in town so have to go to the city :/

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Sue,

Love your Dotee dolls. I am trying to see if I can make 3 for the swap. But I have so many things on My To Do LIst!

joggerellablog said...

Very cute and fun to read Blog entry! Thankyou!

Liz in Kansas said...

You should know that it's not possible to really create without making a mess! One of the universal laws, I guess! Wow! I'm putting that shop on my someday list!

Linda Fleming said...

Your new jewelry is darling. I shop at locally owned shops as much as I possibely can. Can't remember the last time I was in a Walmart or the mall. I am lucky to have so many locally owned shops here in my area. Love them!