Saturday, August 15, 2009

Daggone Raccoons!

When we moved into this house four years ago, there was a huge vegetable garden off the driveway, along the east side of the house & garage. We reduced it by half the next spring, and put in tomatoes, cukes, and herbs.

The deer thanked us for it. We tried the next two years, as well, and last fall gave up and decided to quit fighting the deer - after all, they were here first. By planting six tomato plants per year the first three years we were here, we've harvested no more than 8 to 10 tomatoes, all years combined.

This spring, we decided to put sod over the other half, and make it all lawn, and be glad we can get nice fresh tomatoes at the farmer's market. But at least once a week, sometimes more often, this is what we find in the morning:
The raccoons apparently think we've created a smorgasbord just for them. The only thing I can figure is that they are looking for grubs. I'm trying to be good natured about it. After all, I'm the one who often repeats to those complaining about the nuisance and over-population of the animals that maybe it's we people who are over-populating, and encroaching on THEM.
Then last weekend, Gerry found a trail of destruction out of the pond.
And if you have a weak stomach, you might not like the next photo...
Yep, they got the big guy. I weighed and measured what was left of him (the flip side was chewed a lot more) and he was 14 1/2 inches long and about 1.5 pounds.

I'm not feeling particularly charitable toward raccoons right now.

10 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

:/ pour fish but I have to laugh at them lifting up the sod to get food ;)

Shashi Nayagam said...

We have the moles digging holes in lawns over here. There is a gadget that they put in lawns to deter them. It makes some sort of bleeping noise which the moles don't like. But I am not sure how successful it is to keep them out.
Do you not have any sort of gadget like that to stop them from ruining the garden. Sorry about the fish. I too would be cheesed off if it were mine.

Michelle Eaton said...

That is terrible. I wouldn't be handaling it as well as you are.

Debra said...

I wonder if you could use some kind of big netting to spike into the ground until the new sod takes hold. That's a shame.

Too bad about the big fish. Goes with the law of the land I guess... eat or be eaten.

MaryO said...

Oh, those little rascals can be such devils! It's bad enough that they ruin your lawn, but I know you hated to lose that big fish. We had a terrible problem with them dumping our garbage all over the backyard until we got a garbage service that provides us with a monster container that they can't open!

joggerellablog said...

Sue, I made my husband come for a look see...maybe the raccoons just wanted to roll up the rug a little and dance?
And, I guess its nature to hunt, but why didn't they eat the fish...poor thing.

Sue said...

They DID eat more of the fish, I left that side down. Also, being raccoons, if we had left it there, they would have come back and finished the next night. As to the sod, this was not a one time occasion. We have been fixing it back to the ground at least three times a week since May!

The Foxes Den said...

We have had our share of creatures feasting on fish in our pond. I haven't seen any destruction since we put in a fake alligator :) Sorry your big fishie was killed.

The sod did make me giggle though!

Pedro Garcia Millan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bear said...

I didnt realise the damage that Racoons made and the poor fish I wouldnt have minded had they eaten him completely then you could say they were starcing but.......... oh heck Sue does that make the rest of your fish vunerable??
and the mess of your Lawn heck I would find it very hard to be charitable
love n hugs bear xooxxo